Thanks again Derek ...

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Derek Jennings
Sent: Thursday, November 21, 2002 9:13 AM
To: H. Carter Harris; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Autostart for VNC

I'm replying on list as this may be of interest to others.

The way Mandrake starts up services is this.
In the /etc/rc.d/init.d folder are startup/shutdown scripts for each
service
available.
These scripts are never executed, but get copied into the folders
/etc/rc.d/rc0.5  , rc1.d , rc3.d, rc4.d , rc5.d , and rc6.d These
folders correspond to the six different run levels. The ones that most
interest us are rc.5  for normal desktop and rc.6 for shutdown.

When you use the Mandrake Control Centre Services GUI, or the 'service'
command from the command line. What you are doing is causing a script to
be
copied/deleted to /etc/rc.d/rc.5 (and rc.6)  However the name of the
script
is changed during the copy.  So taking vncserver as an example. When it
is
enabled the script is copied to /etc/rc.d/rc.5/S91vncserver , and the
same
script is copied to /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K35vncserver.  The 'S' means
'start', and
the 'K' means 'Kill', the number dictates the sequence relative to other

services.  So this means in run level 5 vncserver is started with a
'sequence
number' of 91, and when you shutdown (runlevel 6) it is stopped.

When you disable the vncserver service, the script is deleted from rc5.d
and
rc6.d and so vncserver never starts.

Hope that throws some light on how services work.
This is a bit different I believe from the way RedHat does it

Derek