On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> I am having a terrible time learning what the boot process is for linux, ie:
>
> -What scripts are run
> -What order they run
> -Location of boot scripts
>
> Can anyone help or point me to a good explanation of the boot process?

You dont say which flavor of linux you have but considering the
mailing list your mail came from i tak it you have either Redhat of
mandrake, ok i know there just about the same.

To start off lilo will boot the kernel of your choise, the kernel
will then continue as per 'dmesg', type just after booting 'dmesg'
(without quotes of course),  it will show you what the kernel finds
out about your mother board etc. It then gets to where drives are
mounted, thats where the scripts come into action, you may have
noticed on your own machine that you got a messages saying "maximal
mount count reached check forced". That information is stored on each
partition, fsck the program whcih does the checking has then looked
into /etc/fstab and checked the 5th and 6th fields, those are the
fileds which tell fsck what to do.

After the disks have been mounted, /etc/inittab is read the first
line is normaly;
id:3:initdefault:
Which tells the system to start in runlevel 3, before it actualy
starts to boot into runlevel 3 otherwise known as init3 /etc/rc.d/rc
is read then rc.sysinit takes over it reads the system configuration
files found in /etc/sysconfig/ * from there things like keyboard
mouse clock and network options are set.. It then executes the
scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ after that all the daemons
are started from /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/ .
That is a short but explanatry message, i hope i have not confused
the issue but typing one or another file in the wrong order, i
dont think so, anyway that is basicly how linux starts.

--
Regards Richard
[EMAIL PROTECTED]