On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 09:42, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 23 Nov 2002 5:35 pm, Marcia wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I would love to be able to fax from Linux on my desktop. I have LM 9. I am
> > connected to the net with cable and I know that I would have to hook up the
> > phone line with the modem in order to fax. The modem I have is supposedly
> > supported by Linux or at least is a linmodem. How would I set this up so
> > that I can fax plus still use my cable modem? Thanks for any suggestions.
> >

> Hello Marcia -
>
> The issue of winmodems is something I don't know much about.  I think the
> Lucent chip modems are among the ones that can be persuaded to work, but
> someone who knows more than I do will advise you on that part.
>
> For the Mandrake setup, your situation is a little different from mine, where
> I have a connection over ethernet, then a modem, but this is what I suggest
> you do:
>
> Go to Mandrake Control Centre and let Mandrake detect your connections.  It
> should detect your modem and offer to set it up.  If it does, let it.  It
> will make all the connection settings you need.  I presume that this will
> leave you with two profiles then, and you will have to switch when you want
> to fax.
>
> I could be way off beam, since you have, in effect, two modems, but that's how
> I would tackle it.
>
> Anne

I suspect that this might just confuse things.  You shouldn't need to
configure a connection using the modem to allow it to be for faxing.
Whatever fax software you are using will need to be pointed at the port
to which the modem is connected.  That's about it.

In fact, I would suggest that you specifically tell drakconnect NOT to
configure the modem if you are running it for some other reason, as it's
likely screw up network settings.

HTH
Brian