I agree with John in that peeling material off the back of a CD can be
hazardous to it. The backing material must be 100% intact at all times. If
the coating should be worn, dissolved (from peeled off glue) or scratched,
the laser will pass through instead of reflecting off the backing. The
result is the same as a bad spot on a hard drive or floppy disk. However,
something of this nature has happened to me, so I understand your interest
in wanting to do something. An important work related CD came to me with
this ridiculous, off-center address label pasted on it and just as in your
case, the CD would become erratic in the drive. I was fortunate in that I
could still use it. I'm not sure what bothered me more: 1) that someone
would be so stupid as to do this to a CD; 2) that the contents of the disc
was too valuable to me for something like this to happen; or 3) that
prolonged use of the CD in my drive would wear out the spindle bearings!
ARGH! Like....CD labels are not that expensive! With that said, I am 'not'
advising you to peel those labels off.......but......I know that I would be
trying to do so, ever so carefully. Now you know why I make it a point to
never gamble for money! ;-) Something about 'nopain -- no gain!'

You can't use corrosive solvent, nor can you scrape it off. However, if you
are willing to let me experiment on your behalf, I have an idea. I happen to
have a citrus-based label removing product that has worked very well in
removing paper labels and residual glue without marring the surface. I would
be willing to take a junk CD (Oooh! I can do this to an AOL trial CD!
YIPPEE!!!!) and see if the CD reads properly after removing a permanent
address label. I will inspect it under a magnifying lens to see if there's
any erosion of the backing. If all is well, and you happen to be able to
find the same kind of product there, go for it. This might be more fun for
me than beneficial for you. Simple minds need simple challenges. :-)

The other alternative is make new copies of the CDs from a slower-read
burner. It has to be slow-read or you will induce the wobble and make the
outcome just as unreadable.