On Monday 25 Nov 2002 5:51 pm, Barry Premeaux wrote:
> On Monday 25 November 2002 07:08 am, you wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >    I'm having problems installing M8.2 over WinXP. I have a 20GB
> > harddisk and i partitioned it into 3. C: takes 5GB and D: takes 7GB. The
> > rest i left it for Mandrake. After installing WinXP using NTFS
> > filesystem, i booted M8.2 and ran the setup program. The problem came in
> > when it couldn't detect the partitions or something.
> > "An error occured. Ask_before_blanking: unknown partition table format."
> > Anyone knows how to solve this problem?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Sean
>
> MD8.2 (nor any other Linux distrobution I am aware of) does not read NTFS.

Not quite true, I think.  Mandrake (and others, I think) can read ntfs without
much problem, but it is inadvisable to attempt to write to a ntfs partition.
Much work is being done on this, and it is hoped to have a safe write option
soon, but it's better to play safe until then.

> I'm not an XP expert, but I believe you can force it to install on a FAT32
> partition.  If you only need to see personal files on the XP side, then
> create a FAT32 partition to save them there.  MD8.2 will be able to see it.
> You may want to consider the first option if you want to take advantage of
> the ttfs fonts that are in MS.

For dual boot systems it is definitely worth considering a fat32 partition for
data.  If MCC can't import your fonts from the ntfs partition (and I'm not
sure that it can't) you could always copy them onto the fat32 partition and
then point fontDrak to that directory

Anne