Brian,
   I tried doing what  u said, doing a clean installation of mandrake, but it still
gave me the exact same error. Firstly, i used fdisk to delete all my partitions. I
then tried to install m8.2. Can't. Then i thought maybe i should format the
partitions, so i did using format from a bootable dos disk. Loaded in m8.2 setup and
gave me the same error. I couldn't use auto allocate or wizard coz it doesn't solve it
even.

This is what i got just before i clicked "no" to enter into the place where i could
create, resize, mount partitions.Choosing yes was not an option coz it gave me the
same message so i had to choose no.

"i can't read the partition table, it's too complicated fr me
i can try to go on blanking bad partitions (all data will be lost)
The other solution is to disallow DrakX to modify the partition table.(the error is
ask_before_blanking:unknown partition table format.)

Do you agree to loose all the partitions?"