Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response. I do not have any of the
devices as slaves. I have 3 IDE devices - 2 HDDs and 1
CDROM/RW (Plextor 12/10/32). Apart from the 2 slots
for IDE on board I also have a PCI-IDE bridge for the
extra device. Here is my problem. The Mandrake Install
CD does not recognize the device(s) plugged into the
on-board slots but does so for the device(s) plugged
into the PCI-IDE bridge. I have experimented with
different combinations and this seems to be always the
case. I know that the CDs are good as I have used this
same set many times before to install. Also, both the
8.0 and the 9.0 CD give the same exact problem. On the
other hand, the RedHat CD works just fine.

Am not sure how to get the BIOS updates and install
them. I dont have DOS/Windows at all to do that. Can
one do that from Linux?

Thanks
Nikunj.

--- Jim Hubbard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Have you experimented with master/slave/cable-select
> settings on the
> CDROM?  Are you sure the MDK CD's are good?  Check
> for bios updates
> for the motherboard?  Just some ideas, hope they
> help.
>

> Sincerely,
> Jim Hubbard
>               .--.