I convinced a friend of mine to try out mdk9 but she had an HSF modem and couldn't afford to replace it. Googled the link to Marc Boucher's driver for the HSF moden.... I installed the driver and ran hsfconfig to set the country code etc but kpp could not find the device ..... simple solution was to make a link in /dev/ to ttySHSF0 and run kpp again ....this worked like a charm... Works really well and saves going to the added expense of buying a 'hardware' modem.
It's often difficult to convince people to try 'nix' if they have to spend money replacing hardware that works (tongue in cheek) with the offerings form M$. It was a useful exercise in demonstrating how flexible linux is and how you can do it yourself to fix problems.

Franki wrote:

Just download the driver for your kernel version..

http://www.mbsi.ca/cnxtlindrv/hsf/archive/hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta0211
0300/hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02110300k2.4.19_16mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm

Then just install it..

rpm -ivh hsflinmodem-5.03.03.L3mbsibeta02110300k2.4.19_16mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm

it will do all the work for you from that point... then just run kppp to
detect modem or use wvdial whatever...
I have done it many times and it works great.... Marc Boucher did some
fantastic work on those drivers.

good luck....

rgds

Franki