On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 11:35, Nikunj Bansal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently upgraded the motherboard and the CPU on my
> PC and am unable to  use or install Mandrake (tried
> versions 8.2 and 9.0) after that. On the  other hand,
> the previous RedHat 9.0 install on another partition
> on the  same PC works fine as well as RedHat 9.0
> Install CD works fine too.

RED HAT 9 ??? Wow - you're getting things faster than they make 'em
mate!

> The new Motherboard is ABIT BD-711 and new CPU is
> Intel Celeron 1.8GHz.  First of all my old install of
> Mandrake 8.2 wont boot on the new setup. So I tried
> installing anew. However, both 8.2 and 9.0 installs
> give an error  "No CDROM device found" in the initial
> stages of the install itself.

Have you tried disabling the PNP settings in BIOS?

> So, I did more experimentation on my setup. Apparently
> any IDE devices  plugged into the motherboard IDE
> controller are not being recognized by the  Mandrake
> installed kernel as well as the Mandrake Install CD
> kernel. How do I know this? Because I have a PCI-IDE
> bridge too and when I plugged my  CDRom and the hard
> disk into this controller and boot from the floppy
> using  the cdrom.img on it, the install starts
> recognizing these. However this way, I cannot use
> CDROMs and my main HDD to boot my PC at all (will have
> to use floppy all the time) and I dont wish to
> configure this way.
>
> Anyone seen any similar problems before with
> ABIT-BD-711 or some other  motherboard? Any pointers
> will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Nikunj.

Can I get a copy of RH 9? (gri)

--
Fri Nov 29 12:40:00 EST 2002
   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
--------------------------------
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

When the leaders speak of peace
The common folk know
That war is coming
When the leaders curse war
The mobilization order is already written out.

Every day, to earn my daily bread
I go to the market where lies are bought
Hopefully
I take my place among the sellers.
                -- Bertolt Brecht, "Hollywood"