On Friday 29 Nov 2002 1:12 am, Thought Progress wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Tru Newbie here so please, "explain it to me like I'm a 4 year old".
>
> I cannot find samba and it is aparently not running. I am running
> Mandrake 9.0 on a PIII 500Mhz with 256 MB RAM. I know my Network is up
> because if it weren't I couldnt send this mail.
>
> I downloaded and installed Samba thru Red Carpet and there were no
> errors. But I cant find any of the files. When I try to "man samba" I
> get  "no manual entry for samba.
>
> Someone please tell me what I am doing wrong, where I need to look for
> answers, what I need to download, etc.
>
> Thanks,
>
> TP

If you are a true Newbie you are best off using the Mandrake supplied packages
rather than Ximian ones. They will then be installed in the expected
locations and can be autoconfigured for you.

So for example the real easy way to set up  a samba server is to open up the
software installer in Mandrake Control Centre. Install an RPM called
'wizdrake'.  Close Mandrake Control Centre and reopen it.

You will then see a new category called 'Server'  In there is a section for
Samba. Just go through the GUI.  In the process it will install Samba for
you.(samba-server and samba-common)  Since there was a new version of Samba
released last week, it will get the files off the Internet, so make sure you
are connected at the time.

That is it for samba server.

For a Samba client, just open Mandrake Control Centre, go to the Software
installer, and install the samba-client RPM.

HTH

derek