On Thursday 28 November 2002 10:23 pm, SoloCDM wrote:
> On 28 Nov 2002, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > Date: 28 Nov 2002 16:58:09 +1100
> > From: Stephen Kuhn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: Linux-Mandrake Newbie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Re: Missing PINE
> >
> > On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 12:11, SoloCDM wrote:
> > > Why isn't PINE in the Mandrake distribution?  I realize mutt is,
> > > but what takes the place of PINE?
> >
> > I had to find an RPM/tarball for it - the tarball, actually - and
> > installed it by myself instead of dealing with th MDK stuff...
>
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Anders Lind wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 08:07:41 +0100
> > From: Anders Lind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: Missing PINE
> >
> > On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 07:23:21 +0100
> >
> > "Anders Lind" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > I think it should be on the CD's somewhere,
> >
> > I stand corrected I see, I know that Debian and Debian-based dists has
> > not included Pine or have had it in Non-Free, anyway just download it
> > from http://www.washington.edu/pine
>
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Len Lawrence wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 06:43:58 +0000
> > From: Len Lawrence <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: Missing PINE
> >
> > On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:11:43 -0700
> >
> > SoloCDM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Why isn't PINE in the Mandrake distribution?  I realize mutt is,
> > > but what takes the place of PINE?
> >
> > It is missing from Mandrake 9.0 because of licensing issues apparently.
> > I had used it for years, back before Linux, but have got used to Sylpheed
> > now. Don't know what you could use as a direct replacement but you could
> > try installing pine from an older distribution or even download the
> > latest version and agree to the licensing terms.
>
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002, Franki wrote:
> > Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 15:41:58 +0800
> > From: Franki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: Re: Missing PINE
> >
> > wine isn't normal GPL license...
> >
> > so mandrake pulled it out..
> >
> > use rpmfind.net to look for a mandrake RPM.. someone always builds it..
> >
> > I have it on all my 9.0 boxes.

If I recall there was discussion about this and it should still be in the
archives. I believe that the maintainers of pine changed the license on it so
it is no longer gpl, and thus Mandrakesoft did not include it in the d/l'd 3
disk version, no none gpl'd software is in the free download, somebody
correct me if I'm wrong, but that is most probable reason. ML just being true
to their open source philosophy. HTH
--
Dennis M.  linux user # 180842