On Friday December 6 2002 07:39 am, RichardA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to reinstall MDK 8.2, but can't format the drive. My
> I assumed I'd broken it. In the install I get as far as formatting
> the partitions I've defined, but the error comes back:
>
> 'An error occurred. Mounting partition /dev/hda1 in directory /mnt
> failed (invalid argument)'
>
> If I do a <ctrl><alt><F4>, I see many lines something like:
>
> hda: read_intr: status=0x79 {DriveReady DeviceFault SeekComplete
> DataRequest Error}
> hda: read_intr: error=0x10 {SectorIdNotFound} LBA=nnnnnn...
> ide0: reset: success
>
> Clearly this not good, but is it a hardware problem, or can I do a
> low-level format somehow? (the drive is a Fujitsu 3 year old 20GB, so
> I fear the worst. Class action anyone?).

  http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/    I suspect you're
SOL with a 3 yr. old drive. AFAIK, Fujitsu's high failure rate is for
recent drives, ie, < one year.

     Doin a low level format can often cause more problems. All HDD's
have some unusable areas on the platters that are mapped out at the
factory. A low level format will lose this factory info.

    It most likely is a HDD fixin to fail, so get what you just have to
have off of it while/if you can.  Then go to the link above and d/l
Fujitsu's diagnostic. There's one for IDE and for scuzzy.  You'll need
to add either to a DOS boot disk to use 'em.  If you don't have one,
try bootdisk.com (or I've got a dos6boot.tgz (260k) that already has
some sys diagnostic tools on it. I could email it you. Contact me
offlist).  If you've got the floppy that came with the drive, the
utilities are most likely on it.