On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:33:02 +0000
Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Friday 06 Dec 2002 1:42 pm, Todd Slater wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 07:00:38AM -0600, Steve Jeppesen wrote:
> > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2076592341
> > >
> > > Check out this sellers other items using the "view sellers other items"
> > > link on that page....
> > >
> > > Is this a person associated with Mandrake or did this person download
> > > the free thing (or even buy one set of disks) then make copies
> > > and is selling them?
> > >
> > > Hate to find out it is the the latter (not associated with Mandrake and
> > > is making a buck for themselves)
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >
> > > Steve
> >
> > I don't so much have a problem with him/her selling CD's, but I do have
> > a problem with the blatant plagiarism. Nearly all the text that
> > describes the system is copied verbatim from the Mandrake website, as
> > are the screenshots that line the bottom of the ad. I mean, if you're
> > going to sell something that you can get for free, at least invest a
> > little time in making your sell a *little* more creative! I would also
> > be pissed if I found out that somebody was using my screenshot to sell
> > Mandrake (other than Mandrake) without my permission. Come on, you're so
> > damn good with it, take your own damn screenshot! Plus, it's only 2 CDs.
> >
> > You could read Mandrake's website copyright policy:
> >
> > "This website is produced by MandrakeSoft S.A. and MandrakeSoft Inc. with
> > the help of contributions from many volunteers throughout the world.
> > Except where otherwise specified, the contents of this site are
> > copyright MandrakeSoft S.A. Any use of this site's contents on another
> > website or in another format must be authorized by our webmaster. In all
> > cases, the use of any content from this site will mention its origin
> > including the URL mandrakesoft.com."
> > (http://www.mandrakesoft.com/company/copyright).
> >
> > The seller clearly violates this policy.
> >
> > Just my thoughts :)
> >
> > Todd
>
> My 2p worth - since everyone else is joining in <g>  The general principle
> with shareware and freeware was always that the program could be copied and
> sold for the cost of doint it i.e. media and packaging costs.  I'm assuming
> that the gpl license operates in a similar way.  The 'closed' page I saw on
> ebay seemed to say that $6.95 was being charged.  Maybe this is a little
> high, bur not outrageously so.
>
> As for the website quote - Mandrake can sue them if it is not acceptable, but
> they may just have decided that anything that gets new users into the fold is
> worth supporting.  And after all, who better than Mandrake to describe the
> distro?
>
> Anne

Technically, they could make a small c program like hello world, and add it to the
cd's and have their own distribution under the GPL.  The GPL also says that you do not
need to supply the source code as long as it is freely and easily accessible on the
net.  Copying verbatim their website may be wrong, but isnt it free advertising for
Mandrake? Linux encourages copying such things as manuals and documents pertaining to
it.  This is in no way hurting Mandrake.  I believe it was said before if Mandrake
wanted to sell on ebay the could and would.  Nothing that falls under the GPL is
copyrighted in any way that can violate its free distribution, and that person is free
to charge whatever he/she see's fit.  If people see that price as too high they can
get it elsewhere.

Rob