On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 16:00, Mark Weaver wrote:

> David,
>
> How is it that you're configuring your network and dialup settings? I've
> got two Mandrake 8.2 servers running. Setup network once and haven't had
> to touch it since. One Mandrake 9.0 server running - same thing there.
> My workstation at home is Mandrake 9.0 on my home LAN and again, set the
>   Network settings when I installed the system and haven't had to
> reconfigure once. I dare say there's got to be something drastically
> different in the you and I are doing it and not something wrong with the
> software.
>
> Mark

As an observation - from someone that is very critical about their OS
installs - and very fastidious about doing everything in a particular
process down to a tee - I've noticed that in about two out of five
installations of MDK 9 that there ARE problems with settings not staying
set.

I also make sure that I have correct path statements set (in the
/etc/profile and the /etc/ld.so.conf) and set the KDEDIR=/usr manually
(because very few distros do this anymore) and STILL have a problem.
AND, dig this - those installations are going on the SAME machine -
nothing changed. Nothing. Nada.

The first five times I installed MDK on this workstation, I changed some
things here and there just so that I could get the feel of the install.
After that, though, the installations were "by the book" as I wanted
them - and as stated, two of the five installations would NOT hold the
settings properly.

So, instead of all of us that know something about something throwing
blame back at those less experienced, there are some things that have to
be realized - there ARE problems with the MDK 9 distro and they HAVE to
be fixed.

There is no use going on and on about the issues, we need to be focusing
on the resolutions to these issues.

We have to be able to take things at face value FIRST - and be able to
outline possible solutions and resolutions after that.

Doesn't it really suck when you're trying to get tech support and the
tech that's supposed to support you is blaming you or patronizing you?
Hence the fact that we all have to work together to figure out the
solutions to the current problem set.

--
Sat Dec  7 17:05:00 EST 2002
  5:05pm  up  4:21,  4 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.17, 0.17
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

... it is easy to be blinded to the essential uselessness of them by the
sense of achievement you get from getting them to work at all.  In other
words... their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws.
        -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, on the products
           of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.