Anne Wilson wrote:

On Saturday 07 Dec 2002 4:36 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:

Anne Wilson wrote:

Although lilo can cope with the 8.2, 9.0 and win4lin stanzas, it can no
longer operate the windows stanza. In an effort to find out whether
windows is banjoed or the mbr, I used a Partition Magic rescue disk to
boot from. This is the message I got:

Partition Magic has detected an error 116 on the partition starting at
sector 25912845 on disk 2.

Look in the help file of PM , top righthand corner of main window, in there
somewhere at the end as I recall is a error log message file section, where
you can look up the definition of this error log 116.

I'll do that - but probably not until I get back next weekend.

The starting LBA value is 25912845 and the CHS value is 16450559.
The LBA and CHS values must be equal
Partition Magic has verified that the LBA value is correct and can fix the
CHS value
Would you like Partition Magic to fix this error?

In my experience this arrises out of using more than one partition tool,
and is
mainly caused by the industry not having uniform standards.It's rather like
sending two sets of surveyors to measure the areas of a football pitch
one armed with a meter rule the other with a yard stick, they both will
be correct but they will not have the same numbers. On the whole you
can safely ignore this error message it will always go on saying it because
it doesn't like the way the other partition tool has done it's
work.Sometimes
OS's will baulk at formatting these various scrambled up partition tables,
and that is why I do all my partitioning on any harddrive with just
one partition tool. It doesn't matter which formatting tool you use,
but partition Magic has a very good check for bad areas and will mark
them for
you so that data is not loaded over any bad areas.

Problem is I now appear to have a partition table that can't be read properly either by Windows, PM, or Linux

Although I know what LBA is, I don't know what CHS is. My hard drives are
labelled by linux hde, hdf and hdg. Dolphin is on hdf, which I take to be
disk 2. Should I allow PM to do this, or is it being confused by the ext3
partitions?

I would feel a whole lot safer if I could get my windows installation
going again. It is increasingly rare for me to need it, but it covers
emergency use.

Anne

Just to prove me wrong I guess you will now tell me you didn't use more
than one partition tool.
John

Originally the drive was partitioned by PM, but of course Mandrake then reformatted some of the partitions. So far as I'm aware no moving or re-sizing was done.

Then I don't think the partition table is effected, merely formatting doesn't hurt.

I'm getting a sinking feeling about all of this. If I let PM do its work it may recover windows, but I'm afraid of it banjoing my linux installations.

Anne

So on the whole , I would leave it, and just tell PM each time it asks not to do anything.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]