No. I think the problem is the nic is not initialized. He said he was seeing initizing of eth0 failed error...

John McQuillen wrote:
Hi Greg,

This is getting to be a long story, so I'll only include the essentials
from previous mails...

If interested,

here is what is in the modems internal software:
PPP (VPI 8, VCI 35)  ipa
ipa	150.101.208.30		255.255.0.0
eth0	10.0.0.138		255.0.0.0
loop	127.0.0.1		255.0.0.0
auto DHCP
domain name :lan
hostname: user 10.0.0.1

Okay, we have an external address (150.101.208.30) and an Internal
address (10.0.0.138). Do you have 10.0.0.138 as your default gateway on
the Mandrake box? In /etc/sysconfig/network you should have
'GATEWAY=10.0.0.138' and 'GATEWAYDEV=eth0'

When installing Mandrake, I have selected (when setting up net/internet)
the ethernet option, and selected bootp/dhcp instead of entering any
details. This is how Red Hat is configured (ethernet connection/dhcp)
and works no probs. After this, booting into MK9, internet does not
work. When it is booting, the detection of eth0 fails. Running
ifconfig in MK9, shows up only the "lo" details, and eth0 is not
running.

Is your RedHat 8 installation running its own DHCP server? Do you have any messages in '/var/log/messages|grep -i dhcp' on the
Mandrake box?

As a result, obviously no connection.  Does not matter how

many different ways I configure the connection through the wizard, it
still does not work, even when I select ADSL, and choose DHCP.....
If I run ifup eth0, it fails. When I run 'ifconfig eth0 -pointopoint
10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0', it brings eth0 up, but still does no good,
and when I run the internet wizard, if knocks eth0 out, and puts it down
again.

Mmmmmmmmm, the way I read the -pointopoint keyword in the docs for
ifconfig, what you are doing here is attempting to set the address for
the other end of the link. Now, I haven't been following this thread
until now, so I'm not sure if you've been told specifically to use
-pointopoint, but I don't think that this is doing what you want...

When I bring up ifconfig in RH8, these are the addresses that come up:
eth0
inet addr :10.0.0.1 Bcast 10.255.255.255 Mask 255.0.0.0
lo
inet addr : 127.0.0.1   Mask 255.0.0.0

To me that suggests that RH is using 10.0.0.1 as gateway. If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

Here, RH is 10.0.0.1, the gateway should be the internal address of the
router, which is 10.0.0.138.

Please note with the above, that when running ifconfig eth0 -pointopoint
10.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 in mandrake, the 'UP BROADCAST RUNNING'
section has a word 'NOTRAILERS' in it.  Does this have a critical part
to play?? This is one difference between the RH8 and MK9 ifconfig
display.

Google tells me that NOTRAILERS means that the interface doesn't support
trailer encapsulation. Don't ask me what that means :) I don't think it
is important here, however.

Anne,
as far as I know, the eth0's address is automatically assigned? (dhcp)
and being the only device on the network in redhat, it gets an address
of 10.0.0.1. The router/modems address is 10.0.0.138. I use this
address (when eth0 is working) in my browser to get into the
configuration of the router. This brings up the routers menu (which is
web site design based) to configure everything.

Forgive me from snipping from here to the end, but I think that the main
problem here is DHCP. Your router needs to get its external address by
DHCP from your ISP, but if it is also serving DHCP to the lan, you could
have a conflict if you are also serving DHCP in Mandrake. This may not
be the case, however, but I would try the following:

Turn off dhcpd in Mandrake and let your nic get an IP address from the
DHCP server in the router, if it has one...

Otherwise, set a static IP on your nic of 10.0.0.1 and make sure that
your gateway is set to 10.0.0.138 and dev eth0.

I hope this helps,

Kind regards,

John...

http://www.winsweptrottweilers.com

ICQ# 55846749

Registered Linux user #191829

A Cherokee Prayer:

Oh Great Spirit,

Help me always to speak the truth quietly,

to listen with an open mind when others speak

and to remember the peace that may be found in

silence.