On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 23:44, Dale Kosan wrote:
> No. I think the problem is the nic is not initialized. He said he was
> seeing initizing of eth0 failed error...

If the nic fails to get an address because of a dhcp error, won't
initialisation of the interface fail?

It's not clear from the posts the exact error message, only that on
booting it fails to detect eth0.

Is there an error message, or is this conclusion based on the fact that
eth0 is not listed in ifconfig output after booting up?

I can't find anywhere in my past logs any mention of the term initialize
with a case insensitive search for my Realtek 8139 nic. I am now using
an SMC USB ethernet device and I don't get initialize messages for it
either.

If it works in RH8, I really can't see that Mandrake 9.0 is broken to
the extent that it wouldn't detect a working nic.

Anyway, we won't know until we here more from Greg...

By the way, I had some corrupted mail from the beginning of this thread,
so I may be missing some vital information. Please forgive me if I am
way off track.

Regards,

John...