* Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [021207 15:26]:
> The Paragon util sounds interesting, but I'm really trying to get rid of the
> dual-boot, so I don't want to buy another hd manager if I can help it.  The
> main problem now is that I'm picking up the odds and ends - like most of my
> clip-art collection being .wmf or .cgm, which I would like to convert to .gif
> or .jpg, or .png, I guess.  The only tools I have are windows tools.

Your .wmf files are vector image files, so if you convert them to .jpg
or .png you will be losing the ability to scale them to any size, and
also to be able to edit them as individual objects.  I don't recall
what format .cgm files are, but probably vector also.

I would recommend you keep them as .wmf files ... you can always
convert them when you need a bitmap file.

OpenOffice.org Draw does a fine job of editing (and converting to .png
or .jpg) most .wmf files.  That way you can export whatever size
bitmap you need without losing information.

I do a lot of work with OOo Draw and The GIMP together ... using Draw
to create the vector stuff, like text, and then pull it into The Gimp
for fine tuning on the bitmap background, etc.  Works great!

Draw can import a bitmap but can only do simple things with it, like
brighten or darken, etc.  The GIMP can import some vector graphics,
and actually uses vectors (very briefly) when you are creating text,
but neither begins to compare with the other's strength in working
with the other image format type.

If you really need to convert the .wmf (vector) files to .png (bitmap)
in a batch, you might try convert, from the ImageMagick suite:

convert myimage.wmf myimage.png

Depending on how complex your .wmf is, this may actually work  ;-)

Incidentally, most .wmf files will do better as .png's than as .jpg's.

And don't use .gif's ... they use a patented compression method which
the patent holder (Unisys?) is using to extort unjustified profits
from the world.  I recently saw a nonprofit website that inquired
about getting the rights to use .gifs on their website.  The company
replied that it would cost $10K US per year PLUS 1% of any sales from
the website!

--
Jan Wilson, SysAdmin     _/*];          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Corozal Junior College   |  |:'  corozal.com corozal.bz