On Tuesday 10 Dec 2002 7:59 am, Noah A Hicks wrote:
> Could anyone tell me how to adjust my laptop sleep settings?  I am running
> a Dell Lattitude LS w/ Mandrake 9.0.  In 8.2 the HD would go to sleep
> (stop spinning) automatically.  9.0 leaves it on all the time.  I am
> thinking this will wear it and suck up my battery so I want to make it
> stop spinning when the computer is inactive.
> I know nothing about how to do this but if someone else does I'm sure I
> can do it if they tell me :)
> Thanks
> Noah

There is a command called hdparm which can stop your HD spinning after a
defined time.
However there is not much point using it since the Ext3 file system does a
write to the HD every 5 seconds. I have just spent days trying to tune the
file system to be able to stop the HD without success.

If anyone can actually do it I would be delighted to hear about it.

derek