----- Original Message -----
From: FemmeFatale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 17:51:47 -0700
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] MS Intellimouse error

> At 11:19 PM 12/9/2002 -0300, you wrote:
> >******************
> >
> >Thanks for the reply Femme,
> >I was actually under the impression that it would "easier" to use
> >the MS Intellimouse as a PS/2. I haven't tried it as USB.
> >It's working OK really, just the occasional error comes up.
> >
> >I am dual-booting an MS system too...no probs with the mouse there.
> >Shouldn't be either...after all it's an MS mouse!
> >
> >I do have a free USB port. You think it would be better to try that?
> >Mdk 9.0 hasn't been the most USB friendly system. I had quite
> >a battle to get my Epson USB printer up and printing! :-(
> >I did get it working though, after a scrap. Works OK now.
> >
> >Thanks for the help. All the best.
> >
> >--Angus
> >
> >"Success is the art of being who you are."
>

> Dear Sweety:
>
> Some info for you tho:  USB is faster in its polling rate than
> PS/2/2.  Once you try it you never want to go back, especially if you
> game!  Caveat:  It can be a bit hard to setup.  Email me off-list for help
> if you wish.
>
> Finally, USB Offers a way of working around IRQ's & their conflicts, should
> that be a problem... as it is all daisy chained off of one central
> "HUB".  Hard to explain but basically think of a pinwheel.  The centre is
> the Master HUB controller chip on the mobo.  From there it will allocate
> addresses & Space for each USB Device in use at any one time.
>
> The explanation can be more complex of course, but you get the idea.
>
> As for it being better in terms of performance, see above.  And honestly
> I've had nothing but smooth sailing on anything from 8.0 - 8.2 on
> MDK.  Haven't tried it on 9.0 yet tho.  So I will load that today & See for ya.
>
> The Only time i had trouble was in 8 or 8.2 I think when I had to have the
> mouse be on a PS/2/2 port to install the system.  After that I ran
> "Mousedrake" in a term & set it to USB.
>
> So... have fun!
> ---
> Femme

Thanks for for your insights and explanation FemmeFatale
(fatal woman...hmmm).

I'm not having any IRQ conflicts or anything like that, and
I'm not a gamer. Is there any noticeable difference in
performance between USB & PS/2 when just doing
regular non-gaming computing?

I will wait to hear how your USB mouse works with
Mdk 9.0. Maybe I'll switch to USB too.

Thanks for your kind offer of off list help too. You're definitely
a sweety ;-)

I think Technoslick is on to something about jarring the
mouse causing the error. I usually reach down to turn on
my sub-woofer when booting up (vice-versa when shutting
down), and I do bump the drawer that my mouse and
keyboard are on sometimes! That is a very likely explanation
Technoslick. I'll watch out for that!

Best regards....and thanks a bunch.

--Angus

"Happiness and success is to find and develop our
special gifts found inside each of us. And true
mastering is achieved when these gifts are shared
with others."