On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 05:28, Scott wrote:
> Hello list
>
> I am new to Mandrake and have come on a problem that I
> can't solve (sure it won't be the first). I have a
> fresh install of Mandrake 9.0 on a Dell CPI laptop
> with 256 meg ram. Everything is running great except
> when I execute a find command. I use this syntax:
> find / -name foo*
>
> When run as root the system just hangs and I am unable
> to kill the process. When run as a normal user it does
> scroll through a few directories then hangsTheain. THe
> worse is that I am not able to kill the process after
> it hangs. Can someone please help?
>
> Regards and Happy Holidays
>
> Scott

Try running "updatedb" and seeing if that helps - also, you might want
to tune your IDE drive params a bit - because "find" is very intensive
in it's searching....so it will search EVERYWHERE POSSIBLE...not just
your ext3 file systems, but any file system that you've mounted
(CD-ROMs, Windows partitions, etc etc)

--
Fri Dec 13 07:55:00 EST 2002
  7:55am  up 2 days, 17 min,  5 users,  load average: 0.01, 0.19, 0.21

   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
--------------------------------
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|      ;"""/ / |         |     |
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
--------------------------------
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

Breathe deep the gathering gloom.
Watch lights fade from every room.
Bed-sitter people look back and lament;
another day's useless energies spent.

Impassioned lovers wrestle as one.
Lonely man cries for love and has none.
New mother picks up and suckles her son.
Senior citizens wish they were young.

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night;
Removes the colors from our sight.
Red is grey and yellow white.
But we decide which is real, and which is an illusion."
                -- The Moody Blues, "Days of Future Passed"