Okay, i give up. After about 3 days of fighting with v9.0 (3 CD download
edition) I'm calling it quits and reinstalling v8.2. I tried "noapic", I
tried "noacpi", etc, etc... Occasionally, I could actually boot up, after
doing rescue (all installations go just fine - its that first reboot - forget
it - locks up hard). Even then, it usually would not boot up 2 times in a row
without locking up. Also, 1 time I got it to shutdown or reboot using
"shutdown -r or -h now". Every other attempt would up with a:

sending all processes the TERM signal  <OK>
sending all processes the KILL signal...

and nothing - locks up there.

Whats so frustrating is that this same 3 CD set installed perfectly on a much
older computer here with far less specs. This one, my main computer is only
about a year old. Go figure.

Now, some may say bad memory, bad HD, etc,etc,...okay maybe - altough like I
said its all brand name and less than 1 year old. Besides that, it was
perfectly stable with v8.2, and I'm back with 8.2 right now and its as stable
as a rock. (booting up fine, shutting down fine).

I asked for support from Mandrake - Zero replies so far. (still got my
fingers crossed there). I've got the 9.0 DVD/manuals ordered (and they have
already cashed my check). I sure hope that it does better than the download
edition!

In the past, I've noticed that problems I encountered with download editions
tended to disappear with the Powerpacks. I'm hoping the same is true,
otherwise, I'll be stuck with a useless DVD.

If anyone else can shed light on this, please...put me out of my misery. :-)

When I actually had it installed/running (as long as I didn't
shutdown/reboot!), v9.0 looks really great. I like it - I hope I actually get
to use it here...

Catch everyone later...

--

                                                         /\