On Wed, 2002-12-18 at 11:03, George Baker wrote:
> >From reading this list I gather you can run Win within Linux using vmware.
> It seems as MDK 7.0 did not come with this - so is it possible to download
> vmware and install it on MDK 7.0 or do I need to upgrade to 8.2.
>
> George Baker
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Tel: 083 4666192
>
> "I declare a permanent state of happiness"

VMWare doesn't come with anybodies packaging - that's unfortunate, but
true.

You can download a demo version from www.vmware.com - and apply for a
demo serial number.

You can run literally any version of Windows within a VMWare environment
- if you're used to setting up windows, it's all basically the same -
just in a virtual environment.

Example:

After all the steps for a VMWare installation, you create a new VMWare
session - telling it what OS you're installing - for instance, Win98SE.
Have a bootable Win98SE CD or bootdisk handy - after the creation of a
vmware hard drive (you can choose the size you want) - boot with your CD
or bootdisk, and do all the normal FDISK/FORMAT things necessary prior
to the installation - just keep following through. Once you've done,
you're done.

You also have options for the type of access the VM gets to the "host" -
that being the linux box you're running it on. It's really fairly simple
- takes as long as it would normally take to install an OS.

I run heaps of different OS's in VM sessions - as I have to support
them, I have to run them.

Keeps me from having to leave the comfort of linux...

--
Wed Dec 18 11:05:01 EST 2002
 11:05am  up 1 day, 14:06,  4 users,  load average: 0.76, 1.26, 1.22

   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
--------------------------------
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

If the presence of electricity can be made visible in any part of a circuit, I
see no reason why intelligence may not be transmitted instantaneously by
electricity.  -- Samuel F. B. Morse