On Wednesday 18 Dec 2002 12:01 am, Azrael wrote:
> trying to use swat to share a directory form linux onto a windows
> machine.
>
> Setup is:
> 1 linux (mandrake 9) machine, plugged into adsl router, port: 10.0.0.9
> 1 windows (XP) machine, plugged into router, port: 10.0.0.6
>
> smb.conf is attached, but I think it is ok.
>
> The windows machine can /see/ the samba workgroup, but can't connect to
> it.

Just to clarify - you are saying that you have problems logging in to the
linux box, aren't you?

This is nearly always a password problem.  If your windows machine can see the
workgroup, I would think that  your hosts file is ok - but do check
capitalisation, just in case.  Windows does not make it easy in that it
displays its own version of capitalisation no matter what you entered, so you
need to check that  username, password and hostname are all matched for
capitalisation.

 Encrypted passwords is right.  I don't know what that security line does -
mine is set to security = user.

The following lines from mine, make the lan available to all on the subnet:

        hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.
        interfaces = eth0

Apart from that, the only difference that springs to mind is that in the
[homes] section I have it set to

        writable = yes
        browseable = no

I don't use the firewall - the router takes care of that - but I would suggest
leaving it disabled until you get this right.

HTH

Anne