On Thu, 2002-12-19 at 14:50, Jerry wrote:
> OK, I'm hoping this is possible....
> Main computer: windows 98se with ICS
> 2nd computer:  Mandrake 9.0
> Connection:
>       Main:  2 NIC's.  one to the cable modem (no router) and one to
>               connect via crossover cable to the 2nd box
>       2nd:  1 NIC connected via crossover cable to the main computer.
> Objective:  to run apache from the 2nd computer not just on the local
>               network but also on the internet.
> Other info:  using a dynamic DNS service from no-ip.com, using their
>               update program for linux machines on the 2nd computer
>               it resolves (i think it's resolving it... it doesn't
>               give much output) to the main computer's IP
>               (that of the cable modem)
> can this be done?
>
> If not, are my only options to either run the webserver from the main
> computer (keeping existing network hardware), buy a router and connect
> both computers to IT then to the cable modem, or pay the cable co. the
> extra 6 bucks a month and get a 2nd IP for the 2nd computer.
>
> Some possible problems:
> 2nd computer has no room for another ISA ethernet card (don't even know
> if i could still get one) and I cannot for the life of me get any of the
> PCI slots to work with the 2nd (pci) NIC out of the other computer
> (which dual boots to mandrake and works FABULOUSLY) to work with the 2nd
> computer and mandrake.  In fact, i can't even get the soundcard
> (opl3-sa1) card in the other isa slot to work (still trying to figure
> that one out....).  If i could, I'd just switch the computers places in
> the network.  Main computer is the one my other half uses and refuses to
> use linux because WinMX won't run on it.  In fact if I don't reboot it
> into Windows when I'm done with it she just hits the reset button on it
> (grrrrrrrrrr) and boots windows.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help :)  You guys are the greatest.
>
> Jerry

Why not put the linux box in front of the Windows box instead? Easier
and faster...and, you can use the built-in firewalling - as well as
setting it up as your own internal email server, ftp server, web server,
gopher server, IRC server, nntp server, jabber server, vpn server,
database server...etc etc etc...

When I had cable (back in Garland, Tx), I put my lowly little Slackware
3.6  box in front of the rest of the network and used ipchains to allow
access to the rest...that was in '98...worked like a charm. Was able to
access my home network from where ever I was, as well as have access for
my  buddies and workmates...

--
Thu Dec 19 07:40:00 EST 2002
  7:40am  up  1:07,  3 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.42, 0.36

   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
--------------------------------
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

"The lawgiver, of all beings, most owes the law allegiance.
 He of all men should behave as though the law compelled him.
 But it is the universal weakness of mankind that what we are
 given to administer we presently imagine we own."
-- H.G. Wells