Hope I can help out with this a little.  I don't have XP but i do run
win98 on my "main machine" dual boot with mandrake 8.2 and mandrake 9.0
on my "little puter"  What I had to do to get the networking done was
to:  Boot main machine to mandrake, added a simple rc.firewall script
for IP masquerading that i found on the net, rebooted.  Installed
mandrake 9.0 on the little puter while main machine was running
mandrake.  Network configuration during install on the little puter set
everything up just right the first try, didn't have to change anything
to get network access.  next, booted to windows and enabled Internet
Connection Sharing. rebooted.  The whole time, the little puter was
running in the background in the other room.
Now, even if I reboot the main machine I don't have to do anything to
the little puter to get network connections back... as soon as the OS on
the main machine loads, the network runs on both, and nothing on the
little puter locks up durring the main machine's reboot.

Like I said, I don't have XP (and wouldn't) so I don't know how it
works, but I do know that it works fine with win98 with little problem.

Jerry