> What I'm trying to fully understand is what exactly does one mean by
> stating "Linux Compatible ISP".

Well, if they require windows-only software (aol, msn, etc.) they
won't be linux compatible. I'm not sure I wouild even classify aol as
an ISP in the strict sense. They're more like a portal to the
internet, or a BBS. In other words, you aren't really truly part of
the Internet as an AOL user.

> What ISN'T compatible about an ISP?

Well, many ISPs may be compatible, and others may have some peculiar
idiosyncracies that make operation with Linux difficult - for instance
PPP over Ethernet (pppoe). A service that offers that is just a little
bit braindead. It's making life a little more difficult, and it does
manage to slow things down.

> All you need is a phone number, a username and password. That's all.
> That's all that's required.

Essentially correct. That's all that's required for AOL, along with
their proprietary interface software, of course. Still all that is
done is a modem login.

Assoming you're on a dialup connection - even if you were on DSL -
what's needed (or strongly desired) is static IP, your own host-
name, etc. Vanity hosts aren't strictly necessary, as long as your
hostname is addressable, that's what counts. For instance one can
connect to my machine at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com.