On Sunday 22 December 2002 03:39 pm, Seth Williamson wrote:
> I do indeed have the 7-disk boxed Mandrake set.
>
> However, I am such a rank newbie that I am operating totally by the
> instructions in the paperback manual that came with the CDs, and the
> only way it provides for software installation is via the Mandrake
> Control Center gui.  I do not, alas, yet know how to install software
> any other way.
>
> Seth Williamson
>
> On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 16:35, Dennis Myers wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 December 2002 12:10 pm, Seth Williamson wrote:
> > > Just yesterday I installed Mandrake 9.0 on my system.  I am using the
> > > KDE desktop.
> > >
> > > I was unable to find Abiword in the menu system, and it doesn't come up
> > > when I type abiword in the "run command" line.
> > >
> > > Then I tried to install it from the Mandrake Control Center software
> > > installation routine, but it tells me that "everything already
> > > installed--is this supposed to happen?"
> > >
> > > I can't find the package on my system.  Searching for it with the
> > > "find" command hasn't turned up anything, though it's possible that I'm
> > > so much of a newbie that I didn't search in the right places.
> > >
> > > Can somebody tell me how to find this program on my system and make it
> > > work?  Thanks...
> > >

> > > Seth Williamson
> > > Floyd, VA
> > > USA
> >
> > Are you using the down load 3 disk version or the 7 Disk Power Pack
> > addition? Abiword was something of a problematic program last I heard and
> > was not on the d/l disks due to space or they felt it was more trouble
> > than it was worth. Can't recall for sure. However it is on the Power Pack
> > disks, Lord everything is on the powerpack disks. So if you have the 3 CD
> > d/l version you need to go get abiword from rpmfind.net or google to find
> > their web site. HTH --
> > Dennis M.  linux user # 180842
> >
> > ----

> > Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com
Ok, open the MCC give the root password and when the gui comes up you should
see Software Management near the bottom of the list, click on that and you
should see Install software among other things. Click on that, Then mark the
button for "all packages, alphabetical"  and right after the third or forth
package should be some abiword packages that did not get installed. Check the
boxes for them and see if it will ask for the CDrom disk like it should. If
it does feed it and keep your fingers crossed. If none of the above happens,
then there is a problem I am not familiar with. Come back to the list and see
if we can get some help here.  HTH
--
Dennis M.  linux user # 180842