-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Stephen Kuhn
Sent: Monday, 23 December 2002 5:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Mice Issues and comments (rant?)

On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 08:25, Michael Paul wrote:

>   As a newbie trying linux for the first time, I find it very very
> frustrating. Nothing is intuitive, and even basic text editors like vi or
> emacs are difficult to use. I found myself wishing for good old MS-DOS
edit.

There are more editors than you can shake a stick at - Mandrake only
puts a few at your fingertips - vi and vim are horribly compmlex for
simple jobs...pico - and other editors like them, are quite a bit easier
to deal with - and yes, there are text editors like MS-DOS Edit - where
do you think that the idea for MS-DOS edit came from? Unix.

>  As an experienced Windows user with 12 years under my belt, I think I can
> safely say that linux will never gain full acceptance with the majoity of
> computer users in it's current state. Nothing is intuitive. Even adding a
> new device is a royal pain. First, you have to know which file to edit,
> where to find it and then try to figure out the cryptic messages within
> while consulting huge manuals. The general public will never go for it.
> Windows plug and play works wonderfully. There are no text files to edit.
> Things just work. Plug in a scanner, windows detects, feed it the cdrom,
and
> in about 5 minutes you are using it. Try that with linux.

Actually, being not just a Windows user for 12+ years, an OS/2 user for
14+ years, an Apple user for more than 16+ years, yes, there are some
things that Windows does easily - although STILL NOT as easily on a
Macintosh running OS 9...but the fact of the matter remains that
Microsoft has kept the public relatively stupid about not just their
computers, but their operating systems - Windows users, after the past
five years, are just the same as Mac users - they know only what's in
front of them.

OS technologies and application technologies have suffered from this
"end-user mentality" - so much so that hardware and peripheral
manufacturers have become quite lazy in their product designs and
support - but that's another story.

You can't judge all linux distros by this one. Sure, it's got "gloss"
and more of a "click here" aim, but overall, this is not the "end all"
to linux distros...nor *nix distros.

A Sun Sparc running Solaris would boggle your mind as to it's
functionality - but that's $20kUSD just to step into.

Overall, if you're talking about true plug'n'play, nothing can compare
to the Macintosh's. Windows TRIES, but falls very short - too much "plug
and pray", too many issues with corruptions to the registry, too many
security issues and code-bloat. Mac, on the other hand, just works.
That's it. Very little to support, very little to go wrong.

Ha! Got ya there! (grin)

>  I guess I should have kept my mouth shut, but I'm pretty frustrated.
Sorry
> to subject you all, but I needed a release. :)  I know that people will
pipe
> up about how I should get started coding this or that, but I'm not a
coder.
> I'm a user and sometime systems admin at work. And that's it. I realize
that
> the industry could help by releasing driver source code, etc. But, if I
was
> a hardware developer, I wouldn't want the software I invested in to be
> readily available to competitors who would copy the innovation I paid for
in
> salaries for developers. So, we have the chicken and the egg syndrome.
> People won't use it unless it's at least as easy as Windows, and it seems
it
> can't be made that easy without the cooperation of hardware developers
> writing linux drivers for their products alongside Windows drivers.
>
>  Anyways.. Sorry to rant. :)  I do appreciate the help on this list,
please
> don't think that I don't.
>
> Michael

Don't worry about it man - really - just think of it as a constant
learning experience - and having even a little linux experience goes
quite a long way - and in the next year, that experience will definately
grow and become a good thing to have under your belt.

--
Mon Dec 23 08:30:01 EST 2002
  8:30am  up 10:44,  5 users,  load average: 1.03, 0.38, 0.23

   .o0 linux user:267497 0o.
--------------------------------
|            __    __          | kühn media australia
|           /  \ /| |'-.       | http://kma.0catch.com
|          .\__/ || |   |      |
|       _ /  `._ \|_|_.-'      | stephen kühn
|      | /  \__.`=._) (_       |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |/ ._/  |"""""""""|     |  email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|      |'.  `\ |         |     |    icq: 5483808
|  smk  ) /_/| |.-------.|     | mobile: 0410-728-389
|      '  `-`' "         "     | Berkeley, New South Wales, AU
Coralament*Best Grötens*Liebe Grüße*Best Regards*Elkorajn Salutojn

belief, n:
        Something you do not believe.