On Thursday 26 December 2002 07:13 pm, you wrote:
> I'm just wondering, if I could see a show of "hands" so to speak - how many
> SCSI users have actually gotten their setups to work with Mandrake 9.0
> (download edition).
>
> I have an Adaptec 2930 PCI card with: Toshiba DVD, Plextor CDRW, and an
> Astra Umax scanner.

You actually got that to work with 8.2????  Right out of the box???  I think
your card uses the adaptec AIC 7xxx_old driver, but version 8.2 shipped with
Adaptec's new version as the default install.  The fix was to install the AIC
7xxx_old version of the driver from an expert install.  Unfortunately, with
my setup (onboard adaptec 2940, not PCI add-on) I couldn't get the old scsi
driver to "take" with 8.2.   So, with that machine, I installed 8.0, and
lived happily ever after.  Another machine with a 2940 clone pci (Advansys),
works flawlessly in 8.2 without the "old" driver.

Anyway, I'm sure 9.0 also installs the AIC 7xxx driver by default, so have
you tried installing the AIC 7xxx_old driver for your card?

Anyway, even with 8.2, the documentation about this problem was sorely
lacking.  RedHat published the fix how-to for their distro, but the only
thing I found from Mandrake was in the Mandrake Forum, and it didn't work for
me, probably because of the scsi being on-board.

I know that doesn't help from the standpoint of your poll, but I thought some
history about the Adaptec driver might be in order for some of the newer
users.  I also would like to know how many people with the older Adaptec
cards have had problems with 9.0.

e.