On Friday 27 Dec 2002 11:46 am, Aaron wrote:
> Hi I have been running mandrake 9.0 for the last few months.
> I have a number of hardware issues which I can't seem to resolve.
> I am writing one last time before I install RedHat.
>
> I have three cdroms on my computer
> one is a dvd ide drive hitachi
> the second is and ide plextor burner 40/12/40a
> and the third is a true scsi plextor 40max
>
> The only one I can use as a cd drive is the dvd one.

Do you mean that you can't even read from the others?  My Hitachi dvd drive is
the one I installed from, therefore the one that all updates are taken from.
This may be the case with you, but you should be able to read from the
others.

> The writer worked from eroster and webadmin until last week when I get
> errors (which I don't remember)
>
> the drives are not mountable etc.

Which method do you use to try to mount them?  What happens?

> here is my fstab,
>
> /dev/hda5 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> /dev/hdb /mnt/cdrom auto
> codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,user,nodev 0 0
> /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom2 auto

If this one is the burner, it needs the ro changing to rw

> codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,user,nodev 0 0

This is my equivalent line:
none /mnt/cdrom2 supermount
dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

Of course, supermount doesn't work in every setup, so using auto instead
should work fine.  Keep it simple, at least until you have a working system,
then make changes one at a time.

> /dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom3 auto
> codepage=850,iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,nosuid,ro,user,nodev 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto
> iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,sync,unhide,noauto,nosuid,user,nodev 0
> 0
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda8 /snd ext3 defaults 1 2
> /dev/hda1 /windows vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
> /dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0
> ---------------------------------------
> The second problem is my printer I have a usb deskjet 3420 of HP.
> Mandrake finds it and installs all the necessary drivers etc. but it
> doesnt print a test page or any other page for that matter.

The driver installed by default isn't always the best one.  Go to Mandrake
Control Centre, remove the printer, then re-install it.  Take care to use the
Advanced (or is it Expert?) button, which lists the models in detail.  This
should ensure that you get the best driver.  It's very difficult to change
the driver on an existing printer setup.  Much easier and quicker to start
again.

Anne