----- Original Message -----
From: Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 16:53:40 +0000
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] supermount :-/

> On Friday 27 Dec 2002 3:04 pm, Angus Auld wrote:
> > Greetings, I think I have come to the conclusion that supermount is a
> > "great mystery" to me. Perhaps the name should be changed to "maybemount"?
> >
> > It seems to work at times, but then other times it doesn't. This is not a
> > satisfying relationship. I am also not having great success using MCC
> > to try to disable supermount. I selected the "user" mode instead of
> > "noauto" (should I have chosen "noauto"?). After confirming my
> > choice of options, I exited MCC. Then I discovered that supermount
> > is still enabled. :-/
>
> You were right to select 'user'.  The problem with MCC seems to be that it is
> all to easy to back out of a change without saving it.  I suspect that's what
> caused your problem, since changing it is only a matter of unselecting its
> button.
>
> Still, if you've got your icons up, you have a functional system now.
>
> Anne
Thanks Anne, I did tell MCC to save the changes to /etc/fstab, but it didn't do that
for me. After the changes were made through CL, I took a peek in MCC to see what it
says now. To my surprise, both "user" and "noauto" are now enabled, with supermount
being disabled. Does this make any sense?

I had great results using MCC when I first installed 9.0, but, for some reason it has
been misbehaving of late. I am a little more comfortable using CL for doing things now
though. MCC is very convenient when it works. I am getting wary of it now.

I have set up KwikDisk to mount/unmount cdrom and floppy. It is pretty slick.
You can set it to automatically open file manager on mount. I don't think I need any
desktop icons with this setup. Keeps the desktop cleaner. :-)

Thanks so much for your reply. All the best.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber