Hi all,

Can someone please suggest which version of Mandrake should give me the best
performance running the following hardware where the machine WILL have a GUI
(I like them :) but for the most part will then mostly be running an ssh
server sans GUI, through my router?

Intel P200 on an ASUS mobo, 64 Mb RAM, 2gb HDD, 2mb ATI graphics, some 10/100
ethernet card.

All the hardware seems to be standard enough to work with all versions that I
have when used in other combinations.  I can pick between Mandrake 8, 8.1
(download versions) and a purchased 8.2 (7 disk version).

I have to mention I have a soft spot for Version 8 as it was the first of any
Linux distro that worked out of the box for me, (sound and internet) and has
produced the best results on another machine (450 AMD 256 RAM), appearing to
be more stable than the others but I value the opinions expressed here.

I anticipate it will involve something to do with which version of the kernel
they are blessed with but other factors will be pointed out to me in the
nicest way.

Any offererings gladly received for which I thank you in advance.

--
Derek Byram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Registered Linux user 264346