On Sunday 29 December 2002 01:06, Robin Turner wrote:
> Derek Byram wrote:
> > Hi all,

<SNIP>

> > Any offererings gladly received for which I thank you in advance.
>
> If you like 8.0, then why not stick with it?  It was a fine distro (as
> was 7.2, a definite high point in Mandrake's career).  Do NOT install
> 8.1 - it was the distro from Hell (to be fair, this was not entirely
> Mandrake's fault - a number of key programs, such as supermount, were
> going through a bad period at that time).  8.2 is generally a good
> distro, though I had to downgrade the kernel to get the Internet to work.
>
> However, if you're worried about your low hardware spec, the main thing
> is not which distro you install, but what you choose to run.  Don't use
> KDE - it's a great desktop environment, but it eats RAM and CPU cycles
> (as Oppenheimer might have said "I have become KDE, devourer of RAM").
> Try something really light, like IceWM.  Forget OpenOffice, unless you
> feel like making dinner while it loads - use LyX for writing and
> Gnumeric for spreadsheets.
>
> Sir Robin

Thank you kindly brave knight.

Great start, you have confirmed my suspicions about 8.1.

8 seemed real "complete".

I am only asking because I currently run the ssh server on my main machine, an
Athlon XP1800 on SuSE 8.

A bit of overkill you might think and I agree.

--
Derek Byram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Registered Linux user 264346