Hi there..

 Ok, I have a question regarding software RAID arrays. I have read all the
docs I can find on the subject including the excellent software raid howto
written by Jakob Ostergaard (see:
http://unthought.net/Software-RAID.HOWTO/Software-RAID.HOWTO.html)
Fortunately for me, Stephen Kuhn was around to help me at least get the
raid-linear built, but I'm stuck again.

 What I am trying to do is utilize a bunch of old HD's by combining their
capacities into a raid-linear array set up as /dev/md0. This part works
perfectly. But, (there's always a but, isn't there? <g>) I also have a new
western digital 200GB ide drive. The idea is to mirror the raid-linear data
to the 200GB drive using raid-1 which I setup as /dev/md1. Although I
realize that raid isn't a substitute for backups, backing up 100GB is data
is a real PITA.. heh..

 The problem is the raid-1 array doesn't work. Everything seems hunky-dory
when I use mkraid to make the device, I can mount it, etc. But when I copy
files to /dev/md0, they don't end up on /dev/md1. Obviously, I'm doing
something wrong, but I can't figure out what. None of the docs I've read
deal with this particular situation and I've tried everything I can think of
with no effect. My raidtab file reads as below..

raiddev /dev/md0
raid-level linear
nr-raid-disks 10
chunk-size    4
persistent-superblock 1
device /dev/hdb
raid-disk 0
<snip>
device /dev/sdd
raid-disk 9

raiddev /dev/md1
raid-level 1
nr-raid-disks 2
chunk-size 4
persistent-superblock 1
device /dev/md0
raid-disk 0
device /dev/hdk
raid-disk1

 I have tried swapping md0 and hdk back and forth with no effect, and I've
tried copying files to /dev/md1 first instead of md0, all with no effect.
What the heck am I doing wrong? <g>

 Thanks!
Michael