On Tuesday 31 Dec 2002 2:17 pm, Derek Jennings wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 Dec 2002 2:01 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > So when you print to the qtcups printer in Open Office do you get the
> > > QTCups dialogue window appear? Doesn't the drop down window in qtcups
> > > include all the same print devices you see when you print from Kword?
> > > I assume you are using CUPS as your print server?
> > >
> > > derek
> >
> > In OO.o I see my main printer setups (4 of them, all in <> brackets) +
> > the generic printer I have just set up
>
> So this is the qtcups printer. What happens when you print to it?

Ah - now I see.  It didn't behave as I expected, putting, as it were, an extra
step in.  But that step shows exactly the same choices as I had under KWord.
Another problem solved, thanks, Derek.

> The OpenOffice RPM supplied by mandrake has some slight modifications to
> its start up scripts to enable it to use the imported Windows fonts in the
> Drakfont directory.  WIth OpenOffice downloaded from OO.org, and I suspect
> with StarOffice you need to use spadmin to gain access to the Drakfont
> fonts.

Yes - I got the fonts installed OK, but they seem to behave differently.  At
least, the one I've noticed is that helvetica italicised displays in a most
ugly fashion, apparently 2 sizes bigger than the standard helvetica of the
same nominal point, but squashed into the same space, so as to be virtually
unreadable.

I'll have to experiment to see if this is an isolated case.  I have used it a
lot in documents, so I could change the font, but it would arise fairly
often.  If it's just the one font I'll probably live with it, avoiding it so
far as possible.

I have imported both to kde and to OO all the fonts that were on windows.
They are a huge number, and I'm going to try to uninstall many of them that I
will probably never use, leaving just a good all-purpose selection.  Are
there any that I should be aware of as 'system fonts' or the like that I must
not uninstall under any circumstances?

Anne