On Wednesday 08 Jan 2003 6:55 am, Colin McElhatton wrote:
> <P>Hi,</P>
> <P>I would like to know what procedure I should use in order to create new
> shortcuts on my desktop/KDE menu (was going to call it a Start menu out of
> habit :P ) Anyway I recently installed Netscape 7.01 and now I would like
> to create an icon on my desktop so that I can run it quicker. How do I go
> about it? I tried drag and dropping the executable's icon to the desktop
> but when I double-clicked it just said "cannot find &lt;filename&gt;". I am
> sure there is a simple way to do this but being a newbie myself I could not
> figure it out, any suggestions?</P> <P>Best Regards,<BR></P><PRE>Colin
> McElhatton AIMIS
> email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ICQ#: 3012406
> Mob:  79262628</PRE>

Right click in your desktop. Select CreateNew>Link to Application
Fill in the details and choose an icon by clicking on the default icon.
Alternatively if the application is already in your K menu, just open up the K
menu and drag and drop out of the menu onto your desktop, or into your 'Quick
Start' bar at the bottom left of your screen.

If you want to put a menu entry into the K menu Open Mandrake Control
Centre>System>Menus

If you would like future applications to automatically put a menu item in for
you, try to find a Mandrake RPM version of the application.  For example
Netscape7 is available as a Mandrake RPM from Texstar at
ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/contrib/texstar/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.0/rpms

Mandrake Club also has lots of popular applications as RPMs

HTH

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net