On Friday 10 Jan 2003 11:14 pm, Can Baytan wrote:
> Mike showed us the one of the bests rpm source at:
> ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/mandrake/Mandrake/9.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
>
> there are a lot of source even including games there, now, is there a
> page or file about what are all the those rpm's for, when and how to
> install, when we are not suppose to use them, maybe along with
> dependency info and so on?
>
> Bests.
>
> Can Baytan

The ftp reference you give is a Mandrake mirror. It has the same RPMS as on
the download CDs. It also has a synthesis.hdlist.cz file which contains all
the dependency information and package descriptions. So if you were to give
the command
urpmi.addmedia rutgers
ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/mandrake/Mandrake/9.0/i586/Mandrake/RPMS with
./synthesis.hdlist.cz
(That command is all on one line), then you would see the packages in your
Mandrake software manager and see all their descriptions.

There is not a lot of point however since they are all already on your CDs.

However if you were to give the command
urpmi.addmedia contrib
ftp://ftp.rutgers.edu/pub/mandrake/Mandrake/9.0/contrib/RPMS with
./synthesis.hdlist.cz

Then you would gain access to the applications in the Contrib folder which are
*not* on your CDs. There are lots of really useful applications in Contrib

HTH

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net