On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 00:21, Jordan Elver wrote:
> Hi,
> I recently swapped my Matrox G400 Max for an Nvidia Geforce 4 64Mb. I
> downloaded the driver tarballs from nvidia.com, installed them, changed the
> XFree86 Config and it now works ok. I have tried tux racer and that plays
> better than before. I plan to try unreal 2003 when I can clear some space for
> the install :)
>
> Question 1:
> My problem is that, when I try to play a DVD the picture has a grey box over
> the image. You can see the video in the background, but it's like the video has
> a transparent gray box in front. DVD used to play ok with the Matrox.

Blow out your mplayer prefs/configs and fire it up again.
(open a term and type: rm .mplayer - delete the hidden dir)

> Question 2:
> My config file is very minimal, I removed so options, which I think were Matrox
> specific. Could some kind person mail me an example of there config file? or
> point to a site that has examples?

There is a wonderful proggie for tweaking your NVidia - called "yanc" -

http://yanc.sourceforge.net/index-en.html

It's beautiful!

> Question 3:
> When I check in HardDrake, it identifies the card as a Geforce 2? But in
> windows, it's a Geforce 4. Why would this be?

Keep in mind that the Hardwaredrake only reads from the text file - so
the labelling in the text file is reflected here - use "yanc" and you'll
be right.

--

kuhn media australia - kma.0catch.com

Only someone with nothing to be sorry for smiles back at the rear of an
elephant.