On Tuesday 14 Jan 2003 5:03 am, Todd Slater wrote:
> On 13 Jan 2003 22:31:23 -0500
>
> ThinKer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Newbie Question Alert!!!
> >
> > In these screenshots...(from the "This is personal" thread...
> >
> > http://clevername.homeip.net/gallery/screenshots/2003_01_12_23_26_50?full
> >=1
> >
> > and
> >
> > http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/fluxbox.png
> >

> > The users have those nice processor and network interface monitoring
> > tools. Where does one find those for KDE/Gnome/Fluxbox (since I can't
> > make up my mind, and I am still trying to figure out how to configure
> > fluxbox). Along with location, could you also provide the location of
> > the installation and configuration of the tools.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > TP
>
> Mine is gkrellm--it should be on your cd's. I start mine using the
> command "gkrellm -w". The "-w" puts it in the "slit" or dock as it's
> called in Window Maker. I have it start automatically when Fluxbox loads,
> sorry but I don't know how to do that in KDE or Gnome.
>
> To configure, just right-click the top/near the border or hit F1.
>
> I believe Derek's are dock apps--and they should be on the cd's as well.
> Or, check dockapp warehouse: http://www.bensinclair.com/dockapp/.
>
> Todd

Thats right. The rectangle at the top of my screen is called 'the slit' It
appears and disappears as you move the mouse in that area. A startup script
in fluxbox and its close relative Blackbox starts a number of 'Docking
Applets' which then live in the slit.

There are lots of docking applets available. Most of them were made for Window
Maker (another fine desktop), although KDE applets also work in the slit.
(However running any KDE application under fluxbox rather defeats the point,
since you then have to load the large KDE libraries which will slow down the
system, and fluxbox is well suited to low power machines. )

I think all the dockapps I am using are on the Mandrake CDs
Fluxbox itself is not on your CDs, but is in the Contrib folder on any mirror.

Fluxbox is very 'Spartan' with no desktop icons, and no 'Start' button The
icons in the screenshots are provided by the Rox Filer application which Todd
and I both run over Fluxbox. Rox gives Fluxbox a more conventional look,
while retaining the speed. (Rox will run with any WM not just Fluxbox. It can
also be found in Contrib)

BTW: There are lots of nice applets available for KDE you may not be aware of.
Some of them are probably already loaded on your system Just right click on
the vertical bar in your 'system tray' on the right of your screen and select
Panel>Add>Applet and you will see them.

A few KDE applets I like are :-

kcpuload - the title says it all
kmix - Your mixer controls
kwikdisk - mount/unmount utility and partition monitor (Open it from
Kmenu>Configuration>Hardware)
kwifimanager - Monitors signal quality of wireless cards (RPM from Mandrake
Club)
Xmms-Kde - xmms controller
knetfilter - shows network activity in contrib
kshowmail - shows if mail is waiting - in contrib
knetload - in contrib

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net