H.J.Bathoorn wrote:

On Monday 13 January 2003 23:16, John Richard Smith wrote:

I've just had a very trying experience trying to install this.

1) ps2 mouse scrole wheel not detected at all, hardly important though.

2) no /swap partition detected

3) Bootloader refused non install , insisted on being installed

4) refused opportunity to create boot disc

Up to here I agree, same experience.
Bootloader is no big deal, just use a Slackware boot floppy (or CD) and boot by typing "linux mount root=/dev/hd....whatever your / partition is" on the prompt.

5) upon reboot , found lilo had not been installed after all,though
it certainlyleft you the impression it had.

6) upon reboot old M9.0 lilo and /etc/lilo.conf presents for booting,but,

7) fsck M9.0 completed, but,

8) fsck M91beta1 fails, with error message,

repair filesystem 2# fsck /dev/hda7 (M91beta)
fsck ext2:filesystem unsupported feature(s) (/dev/hda7)
e2fsck:get newer version of e2fsck ,
repair system : yes <enter>

Just wondering: I always get that crap after I use diskdrake to prepare partitions. (C)Fdisk is the way to go, providing you reboot before you try to format the freshly created partitions. Don't know why though=:o(

After hosing my fresh install I used ext3.fsck BTW. Seemed to work allright.

and what should I try next ?

I'm back on M9.0 desktop, with a formatted /dev/hda7

John

I haven't given up on it yet. Not by a long chalk.
I just want to understand the issues a bit better, I've come
to distrust error messages these days, I guess the
developers only have a limited librarry of messages to use
at any given time and plump for one that sounds nearest
and may give you a clue.

What I want to know is what was it about my /hda7
file system that the bootloading process didn't like.
I know hda7 was formatted, well it certainly felt like
it was, it was the only partition I formatted, it used
to be M8.2 , but is now formatted over
Also , why didn't drakx find the /swap partition .

Now when I chose the partition to format, and it
did so I didbn't see any way of knowing what file
system it was formatting in, but as it must of been
the default, and in the past that has always been ext2
I assumed it would be ext2 again. Maybe I'm wrong.
As you can see I didn't have to do any partitioning.
I simply reused an existing partition.So I don't
think this has anything to do with the partition
table . Something about the nature of the install
troubled M9.0's original lilo/lilo.conf boot process
from booting, nothing I did to try and repair it
except formatting hda7 again helped to resolve it.
It seems like it's a file system matter/issue.

I suppose I could skip the formatting process
in M9.1beta1 install, altogether, after all I've
successfully formatted hda7 now , so it should
in theory install. Maybe that's what I will do tonight
when I get some more time to do this. Anyone
got any other ideas ?

John

--
John Richard Smith