On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, you wrote:
> Are you sure it's Netscape that is causing the problem?  I'm running
> 4.61 on my box at home and it is in 24bpp mode.  Colours are all good.

Strange. I've got Mandrake 6.0 at home and RedHat 6.0 here
at work. In both machines Netscape's buttons (on the
menubar) are in grey when in 24bpp mode. At work I've got a
Graphics Blaster TNT, and at home I've got an S3 Virge GX.
Totally different cards, one an AGP, one a PCI. I can't
believe BOTH cards would be "strange" at 24bpp, especially
since it's ONLY Netscape that doesn't like 24bpp mode.
        John