Hi Anne,

I have considered the idea. However, a cat on these two files show that they are similar to /etc/passwd, they both belong to root and are both read-only for all others, look:

[andrei@localhost etc]$ ls -lac gtmp ptmp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 635 Jan 13 10:47 gtmp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1365 Jan 13 10:47 ptmp

are you absolutely sure that these are non-critical files? Who created them in the first place, userdrake? If they are something which is created when something goes wrong - which files are they a backup for and would it not be reasonable to assume that since they were created they are now needed? If they are temp files should they not be located in one of the /tmp?

Also - do you know what the link is between my userdrake problems and my linuxconf and remadmin and _XmAcceleratorHandler warning messages?

Thanks for your time and help (and sorry for the long posting)!

Top posting - as it's such a long message that probably should all be quoted
:)
Have you tried deleting /etc/ptmp or /etc/gtmp or both if both exist? They
are temp files that get left behind if something goes wrong, and won't damage
anything else.

Anne

Help STOP SPAM: Try the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail