On Wednesday 22 Jan 2003 12:18 pm, Sendak, John wrote:
> Mandrake 9.0
>
> Hi
>
> As I understand it, rpm's can only be installed when logged in as root.
>
> I have installed packages as root, using the GUI RPM facility i.e. left
> click the rpm.
> They appear to have installed correctly and I can see them in the list of
> installed software i.e. in the alphabetical list of software in the Remove
> Software window of the Mandrake Control Centre.
> However, when I try to start them using the application toolbar, they are
> not there e.g.
> *     Texmacs is apparently installed under RPM/Applications/Editors, but
> does not appear in the list of editors,
> *     Macaulay2 installs under RPM/Engineering, but Engineering is not
> even in the list of applications
>
> Why is this and how do I access the packages ?
>

> Regards
>
> John Sendak

It can take a few minutes for an application to show up in the menu list. So
be patient.

Sometimes an application may not have a menu entry at all. This is down to the
individual who packaged the RPM.

An RPM made for another distro like RedHat will not show up in a Mandrake
menu. This is because Mandrake uses a different menu system to Red Hat.
(Mandrake uses Debians' system)

Your user may be configured for 'System Menu' in which case all users have the
same menu entries, or you may have an individual customized menu. If you have
an individual menu you will not automatically get new menu items as they are
installed. Configure this with 'menudrake'

Sometimes running 'update-menus' both as a user, and as root will make a
reluctant menu item appear.

If all else fails. Put in your own menu entry with menudrake.

HTH

derek
--
www.jennings.homelinux.net