-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Ralph Slooten
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 10:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] IDENTD

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:34:24 -0700
"Boulytchev, Vasiliy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ladies and Gents,
>     Im trying to get identd running (irc).
>
> identd[2890]: Failed to bind to port 113: Permission denied
>                 is the error when I try running a self-compiled
>                 daemon,
>
> when run as root, /usr/sbin/identd -d everything works,   I can even
> telnet to port 113 from remote machinges and attempt to communicate,
> so its not a firewall issue. IRC is still giving me no response from
> identd daemon.
>
> Also, when trying to start identd from RPM pidentd, I got this in
> logs: identd[32758]: fopen("/proc/net/tcp", "r"): Permission denied

Ports under (I believe) 1024 can only be run as root (safety)

Greetings
Ralph
--
http://tuxpower.f2g.net/
http://axljab.homelinux.org:8080/

"I have opinions of my own, strong opinions,
but I don't always agree with them." - George H. W. Bush