After hijacking this (i think) thread the other day with my own "print from
windows" problems I guess I might pipe in and offer some of what i have
discovered in the last day.... seems (in my case anyway) the problem has to
do with the fact that the drivers from the windows side are not Postscript.
and the cups are expecting Postscript. I found after chasing some of the
links Anne posted that the problem for me was cured by

"use client driver = yes the Global section

and also added guest ok =yes to the printers section,

and finally changed the print command to:
print command = lpr -P %p -o raw %s -r "

this allows the windows drivers to be used and does not expect postscript if
it is not a postscript kinda printer