Kaj Haulrich wrote:
On Tuesday 28 January 2003 06:55 am, Lyvim Xaphir wrote:

<snip>

Fascinating.

I'm glad to hear that they are giving consumers a
choice. Although I'm disappointed to hear that they
"expect" to give winblows preinstalled.

My comment is that I would like to know what their
partitioning scheme is on the system that you get,
before it is wiped forevermore. Also, it does sound
like a good plan, cause they will have to get all
devices working before it is shipped out to you.

It might be a good idea to review what modules are
loaded with an "lsmod" b4 you wipe all the partitions. That way, if you've got something exotic, you've got a
heads up on it before you go into the Mandrake
installation.

Not saying that LM won't autodetect everything. But the
info may come in handy.

LX
</snip>

Thanks, Lyvim and Tony.

The story goes on : 5 minutes ago I had a telephone conversation with a Dell Denmark representative. He wasn't sure what linux-distro they offered, only he gave a guarantee, that an Optiplex SX260 would run linux. After some additional pressure I managed to get a bargain :

Dell Denmark will deliver an Optiplex with only a rudimentary DOS in it. He claimed that it would be necessary in order to get the hard disk running (???) and maybe for legal reasons. The price cutoff would be around 70-80 euros relative to a box with WindowsXP.

Sounds good, eh ?

Kaj Haulrich
indeed! that is a sa-WEET deal.

--