On Wednesday 29 January 2003 16:01, Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> Something you could try is to delete all the .kde* files from your
> ~/home/yournamehere/ directory as well as and files in the /tmp that
> have DCOP or .KDE-YOURNAME in them - then after that, try starting KDE
> again...
>
> It could be several things - path statements, lib path statements or
> environmental variables that cause KDE to "lag" when starting up...try
> the above resolution and see if that fixes ya.

        OK, I ended up doing this, KDE now loads within 10-12 seconds from the time I
log in.  Big change from 3 minutes or more.
        I did lose quite a few preferences, bookmark lists, histories, etc. on the
KDE apps like Konqueror, Kmail, and such.  So if I do it again I'll find a
way to preserve those first.  Or try one of the less aggressive solutions
before I get so frustrated <g>.
        BTW, this probably rules out Crossover Plugin as a culprit, since I doubt it
makes changes to the KDE files EXCEPT Konqueror, I need to explore that a bit
more.  I bring it up since Crossover was mentioned a couple of times, and I
don't want them implicated unjustly.  I paid for and use the product often,
and have been very impressed with how quickly I get responses e-mails asking
for support even on weekend afternoons.  Jeremy White is one patient,
accessible, and newbie friendly person.

        Thanks to all,
                Fred