I'll pipe in here, as an absolute oober-newbie...
I've been lurking here for a few weeks now, trying to
get up to speed, and considering this is the "newbie"
list, it's all rather daunting. I must say, 99% of the
stuff you guys are talking about goes right over my
head.

I got Mandrake 9.0 on a magazine front cover CD and
loaded it on an old machine, just accepting the defaults
as it went through. It messed up the video, I just got
a bunch of blurry diagonal lines on the screen, like an
old TV. There were a few other things too, but I'll spare
you the boring stuff - suffice to say it was two machines
later before I got a desktop on the screen...

But my [small] point is: imagine being confronted with
building and operating some machinery you've never seen
before, and all the instructions are in Japanese. You have
to look up each kanji character in the dictionary, and try
to piece together the meaning of each sentence, word by
word. I think there was a story of someone doing a similar
thing with a legal dictionary.

There's an amazing amount of help out there, and a bewildering
array of man pages, howto's etc, but they all [the ones I've
seen so far, anyway] assume you already have a machine up and
running and you know at least how to start and stop it.
The first time I managed to get to a command line I thought the
machine had locked up - there was no "C:\>" with a flashing
underscore. Just one little example.

I must say, this list seems much more newbie tolerant than
some of the usenet groups, which is why I decided to stick
my head up with this post. I'll go back to lurking now, and
hopefully some of it will sink in and begin to make sense in
a while...
:)

--
Merlin Zener