Hi, Bill!

  Sorry I'm just now getting back but I just got back home after a
business
  trip this week.
  I am a new user like you from Windows/DOS world.  So, with that in
mind
  here are my comments:

  "/root wasn't mounted" sounds to me like you may not be root.  After
you
  ran "linux emergency" you should have logged in with password as root
(make
  sure you use a different passwords for root and user).  It seems to me
that
  it is saying that it was not mounted because you are not in root but
logged
  in as user and therefore a "bad option" for a user.  Check that out.
That
  is the only thing that comes to mind.

  486.  Well, it may not work.  I've seen other posts where they have
had
  problems.  Mandrake is optimized to run on Pentium microprocessors -
and
  somewhere I read on the Mandrake site that they will offer i86 version

  soon.  I have an old 486 that I upgraded to Pentium long ago.  It
works
  with Mandake just fine.  You could upgrade but I don't know if you can
find
  the old Pentium any more.  Check around on the web - you may find a
  bargain.  If you do make sure you don't buy one of those chips that
claim
  they can run fast, etc. and are equivalent to Pentiums.  AMD
advertises one
  such chip - it is basically a 486 overclocked.  Mandrake looks for
some
  kind of Pentium code, I'm told, and would not recognize the AMDi86
  chip.  Anyway, just my thoughts.  I wish I could be of more help.

  john

Hi John,
    I have been busy burning up the bandwidth with questions but found
that all the editing and
mounting problems were due to mis-typing the commands.  Here is what I
had typed:

mount /dev/hda1 -o remount -o -rw

this doesn't work as I have missed something in the command line....The
correct line is:

mount /dev/hda1 / -o remount -o -rw

now hda1 is in rw mode and the rc.sysinit can be edited by
pico....hooray!

Bill

BTW my 486/100 works fine so far with Mandrake 6.0!